Nursing Home Consultants: Incorporating Customer Service Training – The Bedrock for Exceeding Expectations
As Nursing Home Consultants, we at LTCM are often asked “What really sets one nursing facility apart from another?”. The answer, “Customer Service”. We have all heard that old saying that “Perception is reality”. Well, it still rings true. Combined with excellent care provision, how a resident or their family “feels” about how we take care of them is the key.
As Skilled Nursing Facility Consultants, we train facility staff to understand that people don’t always remember what you say or what you do, but they do remember how you make them feel. Good customer service means meeting expectations, excellent customer service means exceeding expectations.
How do we exceed expectations in long term care? Here are six key elements of providing great customer service:
- · Patience: This should always be at the top of your list of customer service skills.
- · Reliability: Deliver what you promise. Don’t promise what you cannot deliver.
- · Responsiveness: Resolve problems quickly.
- · Assurance: Do what you say you are going to do.
- · Empathy: Put yourself into their shoes. How would you want to be treated?
- · Professionalism: All staff must conduct themselves as healthcare professionals.
LTCM Consultants recommend providing “Customer Service Training” to newly hired staff and at least annually with all staff. Prioritizing customer service should be a foundational principle for service delivery in any healthcare setting and will make a difference to your residents and their family members.